Temple Bat Yahm is a Reform congregation, affiliated with the Union of Reform Judaism (URJ).
The Temple was organized in June 1973 by eight founding families interested in starting a new Temple in Newport Beach. At that point, services and meetings were being held at the UCI Interfaith Center, but once membership starting growing and more space was needed, services were moved to the Zonta Club. Realizing that the growing congregation needed a permanent space, the Temple entered into escrow with The Irvine Company for a four acre site on Camelback Street and Jamboree Road. At the same time, a savings and loan institution moved out of its prefabricated building in Newport Center, and the congregation purchased the building. In a historic procession at 2:08am on August 11, 1976, dozens of congregants followed the small structure as movers, working with artificial light, rolled the building down Jamboree Road to the Temple's optioned site. This became the first Jewish building on the Irvine Ranch.
The 30,000 square foot building was built in 1982. The building was dedicated on December 17, 1982. Membership grew to 300 members by the beginning of its second decade and added another 100 by 1985.
With every passing year, TBY adds more programs and activities for its growing, diverse membership. Temple Bat Yahm is fortunate to have invited many world leaders to address the congregation, such as: Yitzchak Rabin, Henry Kissinger, Elie Wiesel, Shimon Peres, Benjamin Netanyahu and Ehud Barak.
To date, the diverse membership is made up of approximately 650 families including families with young children, young married couples, singles, empty nesters, interfaith families, and seniors. Temple Bat Yahm is lucky to still have members of the Temple's founding families.
To be an inclusive community where we develop meaningful connections, deepen our relationship to Judaism, and find a spiritual home.
TBY MISSION & HISTORY
Temple Bat Yahm | 1011 Camelback Street | Newport Beach, CA | 92660 | (949) 644-1999